Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Week 68 I'm not creative enough for cool subject lines...

Crazy week, but super good.  We've officially hit the time of year where we don't see our area very much because the sites are so crazy and we're getting ready for Pageant!  The cast will be here in less than a month!  We're getting the workshops all ready to teach them about missionary work and it's all going really well!  But Heavenly Father blesses us SO much in the little time that we do get to spend in Waterloo.  People are beginning to progress and we're seeing great things!

Last Saturday was so great.  We served at the Joseph Smith Farm and I was able to see some of my most favorite people!  The Buffalo youth came for a Super Saturday activity.  I got to take a big chunk of them on tour, and one of the groups who "just happened" to be in my group (but seriously no coincidence... One of those tender mercies from Heavenly Father) was one of the girls that Sister Tulande Vasquez and I taught in Tonawanda!  She is completely active now and is doing wonderful and it was such a treat getting to see her and be with her for her first time coming to Palmyra!

I got to see lots of my favorite Buffalo people and had a really powerful experience sharing testimonies in Joseph Smith's log home with a group of the youth.
Also, Dorothea, recent convert from Irondequoit, came to the farm for her first time, so I got to take her on tour as well!  She is doing remarkably well and I'm so happy for her!  Our shift ends at 7, so we hurry and close/get all our stuff and then book it to the stake center because we have the Palmyra stake conference. We get there about 20ish minutes late, so we are in the very last row with ppl in it in the gym and just slightly disheveled from walking to the  church/crazy day/everything just hitting all at once as we're trying to go inside.
And just so you can get a good laugh, I'll share that my hair had been in a bun all day, but it gave me a bad headache because it was on top of my head, so I figure.. Hey we're in the very back row and nobody can see us, I'll take out the bun and give my head a break (which means releasing the humid hair, frizzy lion's mane).  Elder Homer (Area 70) is addressing us, and shortly after taking out my hair he asks all of the full time missionaries to stand up.  I look slightly atrocious, but that's fine, I'm in the back... Nobody can see me.  So I thought. He slowly has some of the missionaries sit down-if you've been out for three months, 6 months, a year, 15 months.... Well great.
Now me and a few elders are the only ones left standing.  So he invites me and the elder about to go home to come up and speak to everyone. Nothing like impromptu talk at stake conference.  So I make the excruciating long walk up to the stand, while trying to tame my Afro into a more dignified ponytail.  Then he had the elder speak for 5 minutes and then me speak for 5 minutes... He wanted "the stake's most experienced missionaries" to speak to everyone.  (How the heck am I the most experienced?  That's a scary thought haha).  So I'm planning on talking about the Book of Mormon.  But nope, that's what the elder speaks on.  Great, now I have nothing... So I stand up- literally have no idea what I'm going to say, but the words kind of just started pouring out of my mouth and I talked about the Atonement.
 It was a really neat experience, and despite the fact that my hair looked like a crazy horse's mane (and they were broadcasting this all over the Southern Tier because the stake center is too far away for most of the Stake to drive there... So now I've made tv haha).  It was really powerful and I was grateful for the opportunity to share my testimony with everyone.  I love these people so much and it's going to be so hard to ever say goodbye.

And miracle- the story of my wonderful friend, Mark!  So Sister Day and I started teaching this less-active lady named Rita in my last area!  She started coming back to church and we saw so many miracles with her!  After a while her sons started listening in, and one of her sons, Mark, really started to progress!  He is 100% active now and hasn't missed church in over 3 months.  he's so solid.   We invited him to start going to the singles branch a couple months ago, and so he started meeting with the elders in that branch... well they went to go change his records into that ward and they found out he's not actually a member.  He had just figured that he had forgotten about his baptism... We go to check with his mom, and nope!  Never got baptized. So... Mark got baptized on Saturday!!!!  wooohooo!!  I'm so happy for him!  And now he's talking about serving a mission!  I couldn't go, cause it was up in Rochester, but I'm so excited!  He has changed his life 150% and has taught me so much!

Life is happy and good!
Love you all! Have fun in Utah!!  Don't die on your long-boards!


Les quiero muchisimo!
Hermana Davis

pics:
-our happy family/district doing service at the lake this morning!

-Sister Hall and I at Seneca Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment