Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Week 60!: Head of the Table

Great news:I survived another transfer!!!! And so did Sister Day! So this will be our third together, and my 4th transfer in Irondequoit.. Aka the Celestial Kingdom... Aka the ghetto (kinda an oxymoron there). This is the longest I've been in an area now, and I'm so so so happy to be staying!! I've successfully made my way to the head of our Bishops dining room table-missionary who has been in the area the longest gets to sit at the head.  After months of working my way up and fighting people off, I've made it haha. Their family feeds all 800 of us missionaries in the ward pretty often and I absolutely love their family and now I get to sit at the table like I'm an official part of the family and I own the place.  Score.  Haha
We went over to their house for general conference on Sunday morning and got a yummy brunch and all of their little girls played with my hair and gave me back massages.  Happy conference to me!! 
But real talk, General conference was so good.  Quite a few things stood out to me, but overall I got that we all need to just show a little more love and set our priorities straight.  The priorities thing really got me thinking...  It is so easy to get too busy to do all the little stuff, like reading our scriptures and saying our personal prayers.  But there's a reason that prayer, church, and scripture study are always the right answer , no matter what the question is. If we aren't doing these three simple things, our priorities are not straight.  Bold? Yes. But if we're too busy/tired to read a verse from the scriptures everyday, then I think we need to switch out some of our activities. Found this Mormon message in my studies today and thought it applied nicely:
 President Henry B. Eyring, a disciple of Jesus Christ, urges us to seek God's help to overcome complacency and discouragement and find joy in serving Him today.
http://www.lds.org/video/mormon-messages/choose-this-day?lang=eng
Okay, I'll get off my missionary soapbox now, but seriously.  I think we can all step up our game, definitely myself included.
So this week has been super crazy with lots of business type stuff... lots of meetings, and driving, and and more meetings, and appointments, and who knows what else, nevertheless, it was great! I took the funniest family on tour at the bomps yesterday. I've never met people who looked so bored in my entire life. Sheesh. Tough crowd.  They were from Lehi, Utah.. Naturally I tell them my sister lives there.... They all just stared at me. Didn't even get a response haha. Thank goodness the rest of the tours have been awesome. And thank goodness I'm with Sister Day again for another 6 weeks... She laughs at my jokes and witty statements and helps me feel like I'm funny.
I was on exchanges this week with one of my new favorite Mexicans, Sister Flores... She grew up in Texas, but I still call her foreign.  She's fresh out of the mtc, and we were having lots of fun, but just everything was going wrong.  All our appt's fell through, our backup plans fell through, all the potential people we wanted to see weren't home, it's pouring rain, and everything we tried just got shut down.  So we run into Starbucks to get some wifi so we can pull up the map on our iPads, and cause I really needed to use the restroom... I have the bladder of a 9 month pregnant woman... and we meet the sweetest ladies in all of Irondequoit.  They offered to buy us some coffee (got a fun little word of wisdom lesson in there), and then they asked if we could teach them right them and there! So we sat down with them for a while and taught them the restoration lesson, and they absolutely loved it!  They said they normally hate discussing religion, but we looked so happy that they were intrigued and wanted to find out about our message!  They were stoked when we gave them their own book of Mormons, and said everything we talked about made them feel so good, and sounded so familiar, like they were right at home with it all. They have teeth and cars and jobs and are just fabulous, and didn't judge us for looking like wet dogs after we got caught walking in the rain! It was a fun, little miracle, and Heavenly Father always puts us exactly where He needs us. 

Love you!!  Happy Spring!
Love, Hna. Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment