Monday, October 7, 2013

Week 35 Pan Comido

Pan comido... my new favorite phrase.  I learned it in language study this week and we laughed for a long time; so now it's my new favorite.  It literally translates to "bread eaten," but is an expression that means something along the lines of it's a "piece of cake."  So naturally I use it all the time now, and we laugh really hard.  Possibly it was so funny the first time because it was really late and we were all really delirious, but it still makes us laugh, so it has become the theme of the week!  Everything we do is pan comido.

Really good week.  (of course... when is it not good?)  But SUPER GOOD because of General Conference!!!!!!  Seriously, Conference is like Christmas here.  I get so so stoked.  Wasn't it incredible?  It flooded back lots of memories to last October... Happy one year anniversary to President Monson's announcement that COMPLETELY changed my life.  We all know I didn’t have the easiest time deciding to serve, but deep down when watching the rest of the conference sessions last year, I knew I'd be watching in some foreign place this year (yes, NY is totally foreign to me).  One year later, and I've been on a mission for 8 months, and made the best decision of my life.  I am so grateful for a living prophet and modern revelation.

We got to watch conference both at the church and at Sister Will's home!  We were so well fed!  (both spiritually and physically....)  Our ward actually had a really cool activity on Sunday morning.  They had a cinnamon breakfast (well actually it was kinda a lunch haha) and then we all watched conference together.  SO great, because most ppl choose to just watch it in their homes... so it's slightly awkward when your investigators attend and there is an empty chapel.... "welcome to our un-populated church..."  so a bunch of the ward members came and they got to spend time with the ppl we are teaching and it was really successful!  And then we all got slapped in the face with the Spirit at conference!  I'd call it a win.  Also in between sessions we had dinner with our Canadian friends and the Santiago family!  The Santiago family is the GREATEST!  (don’t let their name mislead you; no hablan espanol... haha)  they are getting baptized on Saturday!  oh my gosh; I love them so much!  Technically they aren’t our investigators, but they like us a lot, so we teach them a lot (ppl just like sisters... sorry boys...).  Anyways, they are FANTASTIC!  I'm so happy for them!  A few weeks ago I made the mistake of telling them how our family did "Nature" activities on Sunday.... like "Nature walk,"  "Nature games,"  "nature jump on the trampoline...."  Well now they are trying to convince me that they can "Nature shop" haha.. oops.  But we did play some "nature basketball"  (oops... probably I shouldn’t be writing this...) and by some very strange lucky happening, I WON pig!!  It was really intense and there were about 20 of us (and a bunch of elders who are really good actually) and I won.  Now I’ve been named "queen pig" by the ward... Wow, I love being referred to as a swine... but I'll take my fame.  It was totally luck (I'm clearly no basketball star) but in my defense, I did make some of their crazy shots.... including a full court and one from outside the door on the backside of the gym.  NO CLUE how.  But it has definitely become a moment I will never forget (cause there is no way I will ever make a shot from outside the door again.)

HERMANA NORR got her VISA!!!!  ahhhhh.  We were freaking out.  We saw President Francis calling, and we all just knew it... And then he told her she's leaving on October 22!  So excited for her!  But I feel like I'm losing my child... like a mom sending her daughter off to college or something... I have a thing for killing missionaries.... all of my companions leave me.  Sister Jones went home; hna Norr is off to South America...   Anyways, sad to see her leave, but so excited for her to bring Argentina the Gospel too!

PICS:  (please don’t mind my hair... I have a very strict "don’t do it policy" so it will grow.  And I've only used heat on it ONCE since I got it cut!  woohoo!!!  Not that you care... moving on.)
1.  last P-day we went to the Buffalo Botanical Gardens... pretty... kinda lame, but still fun!
2.  us and Murr (Mary... but she hates the name Mary... hence "Murr") decorating for Halloween... we take our decorations really seriously.  She is this sweet Recent convert who we get to visit all the time!
3.  Zelda's BIRTHDAY!  (Naturally we celebrated with cheesecake)
    4. These are at Peace Bridge... one of the bridges to Canada.... it's our favorite one!  There is this cool river walk under it that we like to walk on (okay, we've done it once... but we still liked it and want to do it more)  but Peace Bridge gets really pretty at night and lights up and we get really excited.  (and I don’t know why the coloring is so weird...) 
Also, I made a video for you on the island next to Canada... it's as close to Canada as we can go... but you all know me with a video camera... AWKWARD.  I can’t bring myself to send it to you.  It's too embarrassing.  So I’ll just show you the pics and you can imagine me telling you that I love and miss you and here is Canada and peace bridge!

Have a wonderful week!!!!!  Love you tons!  I think my next p-day is on Tuesday... still TONS of rain... We were on our way to Niagara Falls this morning, but turned around because it was raining so hard.... (scary roads and we didn’t feel like showering again).
LOVE YOU ALL!
Hna, Davis

thought of the week:
In Alma 37:44 it reads, "For behold, it is as easy to give heed to the word of Christ, which will point to you a straight course to eternal bliss..." Not only will we begin to be healed by Christ as we follow His "straight course" by turning our life over to Him, but we will also begin to feel the "eternal bliss" spoken of by Alma. Let us "give heed to the word of Christ" and be healed by Him. Let us let Christ take us by the hand and bring us back.


No comments:

Post a Comment