Monday, September 30, 2013

Week 34- I love the Bills!!!!

Okay, I don’t really love the Bills THAT much... but I pray that they win every game... Their wins/losses greatly affect the missionary work.  When they lose, the entire city is depressed for a solid week and nobody will meet with us (we've tried to tell them that the gospel can help them cope with their sadness, but it simply doesn’t work)... but when they win everybody is happy and we get to talk to them all and less doors are slammed in our faces from grumpy losers!  GO Bills!!  And the Sabres!  I'm learning more about hockey too.  I think I want to pick up hockey when I get home....

Saturday was CRAFT DAY with the elders.... So remember way back when, when I told you we were doing service at the library and there was this cool craft where we helped little kids and I was in charge of the hot glue gun and I burned myself really bad?  Well.... I have a cool scar from it on my hand.  So a couple weeks ago at dinner with sister Wills (pause to tell you about Hna Wills....  she is truly an angel!  Oh my goodness, I just love her so so much!  She is really old and lost her husband about 10 years ago, but she just is so sweet and happy and always willing to help us!  She wants to feed us so bad, but can’t cook anymore so she orders pizza and boneless buffalo wings-- because "sisters LOVE boneless chicken wings" hahaha.  We have taken her on a few member present lessons with us and she has a POWERhouse testimony.  She is so great.  Minus the fact that last lesson we took her to, she scared our investigator really bad..... So Mary Jo (the investigator) is the greatest too!  She is mid-50s, but had a stroke and was in a coma for 3 months and had to relearn how to do everything... therefore now, she is TERRIFIED of water.  Like even scared of the shower.... so she believes everything and really wants to join the church, but she is scared to get baptized because of the water... We've been trying really hard to help her overcome her fear and everything and she was actually getting a lot closer to baptism.  But then in the last lesson with Hna Wills she asked, "So I REALLY have to be completely immersed?  Are you sure you can’t just do it half way... like up to my head or something? "  And then Sister Wills chimes in "OH YEAH!!!!!!   And if you don’t make it all the way, they'll dunk you again!  And again and again until you are completely under!  And sometimes they'll even hold you down... just to make sure!"   .... Thank you sister Wills.  Unfortunately, Mary Jo is a little less than thrilled now... but that’s okay, she'll join!  Anyways; I LOVE sister Wills... even when she scares our people.)   Back to craft day.  So Sister wills asks me to pass her the boneless chicken wing, and she sees the scar on my hand... therefore I tell them about the cool craft and everyone made fun of me forever.... not because I burned myself, but because "crafts are lame."  WELL we get a phone call last week and a very apologetic elder on the line asking us to help them with a craft.  (Due to their making fun of me forever, they bought me subway because they wanted our help).  So we made posters inviting ppl to come to church.  Everyone says they'll come, and then when Sunday comes around they are "too tired" "too depressed" too athletic" "too stoned" etc.  (These were the random excuses of yesterday....  sometimes I feel too athletic for church as well?  whatever haha)  so we made the posters and then took pictures of us holding them and put a magnet on the back and gave them out to all our people!  So far it's a success!  Lots more ppl at church yesterday!  Go team!  Picture is below....

So there is this recent convert of a couple months in the ward named Guo Jian (he's from China).  And he is the most legit person in the world.  He was just called as a ward missionary and so he invited his entire apartment complex to church!  So for the past two weeks there have been about 20 something Asians in the ward and they all want to get baptized in a few weeks!  So now we have Sunday school classes for Chinese, French, and every other week Swahili!  Such a diverse ward!  so much fun!  Still NO Spanish :(  but I swear I will find some Spanish speaking person in New York before my mission is over.  It will come.  I hope.  Because right now i think there are 1o Spanish speakers in all of western New York... and they are us ten missionaries called to speak Spanish here.... but they will come!   Or I'll just switch my calling to Mandarin speaking so I can help out all of these Asians!

I just love studies.  So much.  I found this little nugget this morning and I really liked it:
Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are atrue, whatsoever things are bhonest, whatsoever things are cjust, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are elovelyfwhatsoever things are of good report; if there be any gvirtue, and if there be any praise,hthink on these things.

Also, i have been thinking a lot about goals lately... As missionaries we make 7000 goals each transfer.... mission goals, transfer, monthly, weekly, daily.... shoot-sometimes even hourly goals!  With all these goals, I was trying to figure out the best way to achieve them all and really make them worthwhile... I found this little gem this week and I thought it went really well with my goal quest....
(I realize its football season right now... but we are always talking basketball here (Pres Francis played bball for BYU and so we use a lot of basketball analogies)) but Tyler is such an incredible example!  He wasn’t always necessarily MVP, but through hard work and diligence, he came out on top!  He set goals, and he stuck to them!  So I put my goal setting into three categories:  1) "Be a doer and not a thinker” 2) "Stay Accountable throughout the day” 3)  "Stay motivated through the goal"    
It has really helped and I feel like my goals are more meaningful now!  Why I told you all this... I don’t know!  But maybe it can help some of you too?  I just really believe that anything is possible... if we work hard and do our part then we can achieve whatever we want!  It's really simple!  Just do it!

LOVE YOU ALL!!  Enjoy knotts scary farm, and chocolate chips up Livi's nose, and baseball and water polo and oak glen and everything else!  Have a great week!

Te quiero,
Hna Davis

Pics:
1. craft!

2. I eat eggs now!!!!  Crazy, I know.  I decided to come up with some new meal ideas... new rule in our ward: you can only feed missionaries if they live in your area.  this was really good for us, because we have a total of 1 member that lives in our area! (so we don’t get many meals any more....)  and that one member is bishop.... bishop is a very sweet man.. But so so shy.  He really doesn’t talk.  So last dinner we had with them I tried to ask him some questions.... His wife talks all the time, so I felt kinda bad for bishop--maybe he had something to say, but couldn’t fit it in because his wife is always talking...?  So after 3 questions and getting absolutely no response (not even a shrug, or a nod) I decide to ask other questions.... well Awkward Addison needs to think before I speak... I asked Bishop about his first date (the gospel related topics weren't working, so I thought I could lighten up the atmosphere with something else?  BAD IDEA.)  He turned bright red and began to choke on the biggest piece of broccoli known to mankind.  He then very briskly went to the bathroom and didn’t return the rest of the night..... oopsies!  But don’t worry, I apologized and they invited us over for dinner next week!  I guess we aren’t completely shunned form their house yet!  (and then sister Payne.. the wife... said that was the most amusing thing she has ever seen... so at least she got a smile and I'm not hated by her!  But I will definitely work on my dinner talk from now on!

okay bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment